How to Moonwalk
If you want to learn how to moonwalk, you came to the right place. Below are easy steps that will help you understand the process as well as have a general idea about the topic. But before starting with the steps, you need to know the basic concepts about moonwalk. The moonwalk or backslide is a dance technique that presents the illusion of the dancer being pulled backwards while attempting to walk forward. A popping move, it became popular around the world after Michael Jackson executed the dance move during a performance of "Billie Jean" on Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever on March 25, 1983. It subsequently became his signature move, and is now one of the best-known dance techniques in the world.
Easy Steps to Moonwalk
Below are simple steps to learn how to moonwalk. Go step by step, and check your progress.
- You will need a pair of low grip shoes you could try to do it in your socks to start off with and wear comfortable clothes
- Make sure that the ground you use to practise to moonwalk on is also not too grippy, try and find a smooth surface
- Stand with both feet close to each other, left foot slightly ahead of the right (toes of right should be in line with half the left foot) and your back should be straight.
- Now raise the heel of the right foot so that you are standing on the front of the right foot as if you are taking a step. The left foot must stay where it is (take care not to move it).
- As you lower the heel of the right foot, lean all your weight on the right foot, and drag back the left foot to so that its toes are in line with the heel of the right foot. The left foot's heel must be slightly off the ground at this stage. As you drag back, do not push down on the left foot at all or it will not glide. If you feel off balance you can increase the width between your legs to create a wider centre of gravity. Make sure as you lower the heel of the right foot (slowly) the left moves at an equal speed. This will need lots of practice to master the right speed.
- Keep practicing up to the above steps until you can make the movement subconsciously without any difficulty.
- Once you have mastered that, "kick" outwards with the left foot, but although not quite touching the ground, make it look as if it is touching. Move it out a foot-size's worth away from the toes of the right. No part of the left foot should be raised higher than another.
- After you make your left foot move so it is at the starting position, lift up the heel once more of the right foot. Ensure the left leg is bent at the knee. Now repeat step 5. Keep practicing until you have the whole thing figured out, and it has been verified by others, and you feel quite comfortable with it. You should eventually get that gravity-defying effect and you'll MoonWalk like the pro.
- Once you've figured it out for the right leg bending, switch legs, and try the same with the other foot. Lift heel of left, lower left as you glide right back. Left still on the ground, throw out right foot, lift up heel of left foot, and once again drag right foot back as left heel is lowered. As with any dance move it takes a lot of practices. Michael is kmown to have alot of natural talent as a dancer. However he also has the total dedication to put in hours and hours of practice.
Practice makes perfect, don't hesistate to practice to achieve the desired goal. Try to combine the steps above with the video below in order to obtain the most information about how to moonwalk.
How to Moonwalk Video
Below is also a video to help you learn how to Moonwalk.
We hope the above steps and video about how to moonwalk have helped you in your quest to learn how to moonwalk. If you like this page you might also want to go to our main page and learn more about our Book of the Worlds.